Here is a summary of what is happening this week, with details and instructions corresponding below the line.
1. Thursday 11/7 – RES/MtCES Veterans performances – list of students at bottom
2. Friday 11/8 – BHS Veterans Program
3. Friday 11/8 – BHS @ Athens – 1st round play-offs
4. Monday 11/11 – Huntsville Veterans Parade5. Friday 11/15 – BHS @ Helena or Clay-Chalkville ONLY IF we win @ Athens
1. Thursday 11/7, the list of 35 “winter concert band” students at the bottom of this email will be going to RES and MtCES to perform for their Veterans programs. Mr. Markham will drive our bus. We will return to BHS for Bucks XL prior to 4th block – between 1 and 1:30. Teachers have been informed about this excused absence for these 35 students. These students need to come to school in their tux/dress full concert attire and bring a sack lunch & drink to eat at MtCES. We will begin loading at 8:00 and leave at 8:30. **
2. Friday 11/8 is the BHS Veterans Program. ALL “winter concert band” students (minus non-instrument playing color guard) need to come to school in full concert attire (but need to bring their marching band (uniform/thermals/gloves/etc) attire to school as well for the Athens trip-info below). If a student doesn’t have their concert attire yet, he/she needs to wear all black – preferably dressy please. Teachers have been informed about this event and these students being absent from class 1st block. The program is 2nd block starting around 11:00. I’ve informed teachers that our students may come to them during 4th block as needed next week, to make up missed work.
3. Friday is also our trip to Athens for the 1st round of the Varsity football play-offs. The entire marching band will be loading the trailer starting at 3:30 (after the “Buck Walk” parade through BMS and BHS) and depart when 4 buses have returned from their routes. All students need to bring something to eat between school and departure. Thanks for all of the donations so we can provide snack bags for the ride home. Parents – please help your student plan ahead Thursday evening to come to school in concert attire + bring all of their marching uniform and instrument items – shoes, long white socks, thermals, gloves, flip-folder, etc.
4. Monday 11/11 – No School. The entire marching band is marching in the Huntsville Veterans Parade in downtown Huntsville. We will take buses from school to make it simple and easy on everyone. We will be the 5th band (86th entry) out of 8 bands (& 137 entries). This parade will be televised on WAFF 48 but I encourage you to come out and help make it a great experience for everyone. We haven’t gotten to do this the last 2 years so I’m very glad our students will get this experience. My favorite part besides our students performing is the honor of getting to thank & shake the hands of so many active and veteran military. I’m also working on coordinating stopping to play the Battle Hymn Chorale at the viewing stand.
Here is the parade route: https://huntsvillevets.org/2019-veterans-day-parade
Veterans Parade Itinerary:*VERY IMPORTANT THAT EVERYONE EATS BREAKFAST THIS MORNING – like band camp, eat proteins and carbohydrates for maximum energy. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.We will take waters with us so students can keep one with them from unload and while waiting in staging area.8:30 – Call time to dress in uniform and load Little Blue with battery and big instruments. Everyone else will carry their own instrument on the bus with them.9:10 – load buses9:15 – depart BHS10:00 – unload and make way to staging area (Woodson and Holmes) – warm-up, run-through, set-up in parade block (drink water and use bathroom)11:00 – parade kicks off but with 137 entries, it will take quite a while for BHSMB to make it to the viewing/press stand at the Veterans Memorial.1:00-2:00 – I do not know how long it will take for us to get going from the staging lot and to march the entire route and get back to the buses. I will send a Remind text when we are finished and headed to BHS.2:00-3:00 – Again just an estimate – returning to Buckhorn to unload/dress out with quick dismissal. *Please check remind texts for specific times on day of event.
**Thursday 11/7 RES/MtCES Trip