3300 Siegel Rd
Murfreesboro, TN 37129
Buckhorn High School Marching Band’s first competition of 2017! Please read all the info:
For our new members (and vets), there are a few things to note about competitions in general, and particularly this contest. As has been mentioned before, our competition days are to be expected to be a full day and evening event. Our departure always depends on when we perform and most contests’ awards ceremonies are late evening.
The Stones River Championship (@ Siegel High School, 3300 Siegel Road, Murfreesboro, TN) has gained notoriety very quickly and the schedule is full of lots of great band programs! Every contest has a particular way of separating bands (usually based on # of musicians) in to classifications. The SRC does this also, but does not have bands perform in “class order” during Prelims, so you will see the order is completely random (i.e. judges cannot hold back higher scores for larger bands). The adjudicators for this contest are highly qualified and some are associated with DCI.
Because the SRC is a Prelims/Finals competition (a first for Buckhorn), naturally we cannot know if we will perform twice. However, regardless of whether or not we perform in Finals, we will plan on staying to enjoy and observe the Finals portion of the event. This is required, as it is the hugely educational (and very enjoyable) part of attending competitions – part of the overall experience. Students are not allowed to be checked out until after the end of the entire competition event, unless there is an extenuating circumstance discussed with me and approved ahead of time, or if there is an emergency. Check-outs should not occur (the band has to unload back at school) unless, again, there is an extenuating circumstance discussed with me and approved ahead of time, or if there is an emergency.
**Spectator Information – Tickets will be available at each of the 3 gates leading into Ken Nolan Stadium. Tickets are $15 for the day (cards will be accepted at the designated gates); children 10 and under get in free. All purchased tickets feature access to both prelims and finals competition. Contest programs will be available at the ticket gates for $2 each.
– All students need to eat a very hearty breakfast prior to the call time that morning.
– Students should arrive in their “whites” (with show shirt and show shoes) but can wear sweatpants/jeans/jacket/sweatshirt OVER their whites if they want to (to be left on bus when unloading). Color Guard – this means show shirts also for you and a short or pant of your choosing – no skorts and polos.
– Students can bring a small duffel or sinch-sack/small pillow/small blanket with a screw top drink and NON-MESSY snacks if they would like. I believe the boosters plan on providing a snack bag for the ride home.
– Students need to bring enough money for two trips to stadium concession (lunch/dinner) -OR- bring a “sack lunch”/”sack dinner” in a small cooler or lunch box. You will see the lunch and dinner break times on the competition schedule which we will use, and students will be instructed how we’ll go about it as efficiently as possible.
**Here’s a note from Siegel about Food/Concessions:
The Siegel High School Band Boosters will be providing traditional stadium fare through the two concessions stands located in Ken Nolan Stadium. We will also feature food vendors at booths located in the stadium for your convenience. Some of these vendors include Rick’s BBQ, Maggie Moo’s Ice Cream, Kona Ice, Chick-fil-a, Kettle Korn, and Funnel Cakes. Credit/debit cards will be accepted at the main concessions stand. All other concessions and vendors will be cash only.
– The competition will have t-shirts for sale, so students may want to bring extra money to purchase if they so desire – not sure of the cost, usually $20-$30.
– Lastly, our Homecoming game, after-game performance, and the Homecoming dance are the night before this event. After our Homecoming performance (post game), we will get back to the band room and put everything away as quickly as possible so students can get home and get to bed. I realize it may not be the popular opinion, but I do not recommend going to the Homecoming Dance much later after game release time, simply because of the circumstances of our involvement. I am NOT saying students can’t go to the Homecoming Dance, but I recommend they get home as quickly after the game as possible.
**STUDENTS CANNOT BE LATE TO SATURDAY MORNING CALL TIME!
Parents, please help our students be responsible, completing homework/study/projects at the beginning of next week since Thursday (Community Pep Rally, done by 8:00-8:30), Friday, and Saturday will be very busy. They should have their things ready for Saturday morning, probably by tomorrow night since they’ll be late Friday night. They can of course sleep on the bus and again, need to eat and drink well that morning!
- Call time – 7:00 AM
- Loading/Checking – 7:00 – 7:45 AM
- Board buses – 7:45 AM
- Depart Buckhorn – NLT 8:00 AM
- Arrive/Change/Unload – 10:15 AM
- Unofficial Warm-Up/Skull-sessions – 11:00 AM
- Official Warm-Up – 11:30 AM
- Move to Gate – 12:00 PM
- At Gate – 12:10 PM
- Prelims Performance – 12:15 PM
- Back to trailer/change/load – 12:30 PM
- Contest Lunch Break – 12:30 – 1:30 PM
- Continued Prelims Competition – 1:30 – 3:45 PM (see attached schedule)
- Prelim Awards Ceremony – 4:15 – 4:45 PM
- Dinner Break – 4:45 – 5:45 PM
*Depending on the results of Prelims (whether or not we make Finals), we will either prepare to perform again or prepare to observe the Finals competition among the top 10 bands. This part is hugely educational and enjoyable.
*See the attached schedule for potential Finalist performance times – we could be performing at any of those times.
- Finals Performances – 6:15 – 9:00 PM
- Finals Awards Ceremony – 9:30 – 10:00 PM
- Change/Load (if necessary) and Depart for home – ~10:30
- Arrival at Buckhorn – 12:30 AM
* “Remind” Text will be sent when on the road for home.
I’m very excited about this band’s potential! They are doing a great job and we are currently working on cleaning drill and music while stepping up the intensity and 100% commitment from every performer!